Sunday, May 27, 2012

My Last Full Weekend in Edinburgh

Well, I'm completely exhausted... it's been a long weekend.

FRIDAY
At school, the S1-S3 students participated in the Olympics!  I helped out with the biathlon (swimming & running).  Luckily I finished early and got to watch [field] hockey and football (soccer).  I really enjoyed watching the hockey and cheering for my students.  I am looking forward to seeing the results tomorrow. 
After school I went to Calton Hill.  That's this big hill with some monuments and great views of the city.  Then I walked down the Royal Mile and headed to the National Museum of Scotland.  I found that extremely boring so I didn't stay long.  Maybe it wasn't so boring, but I had been to London's wonderful museums the week before and it was 4:00 by the time I got there so I was already tired.  Then I went to Elephant House to have a mocha and a sweet.  This is where JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter.  No big deal.  There were elephants everywhere though, it was wonderful.  Then I headed to Greyfriar's Cemetary to get a proper look at Greyfriar's Bobby since last time I was there it was dark.  Then I headed back to my room and called it an early night.

SATURDAY
I spent most of my day at Cramond Island.  When the tide is low, you can walk to the island by a path or through the sand.  I walked through the sand on the way there and the path on the way back.  I saw lots of little crabs in the sand, which was really cool for me.  The island itself was not very interesting.  I sat down and read a book for a little bit.  The tide was coming in so I headed out and went back to my room for the rest of the night.  I took some wonderful pictures, but I lost my camera so unless I get it back, you will never see them.

SUNDAY
Today I went to Holyrood Palace, the Queen's Scotland home.  It was very nice.  Then I walked up Arthur's Seat, an extinct volcano.  It took me about 3 hours to walk to the very top and back down with only a couple short breaks.  It was great because I had a 360 view of the city and the firth.  Then I had dinner at World's End - haggis, neeps, and tatties and cranachan for dessert.  How Scottish of me!

I will add pictures tomorrow probably (for Friday and Sunday).  My computer is being goofy and I'm very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment