Sunday, May 13, 2012

Exploring Edinburgh

I slept in today and when I got up and checked my e-mail I saw that Gilmerton Cove had a spot for a 1:00 tour today.  So I got ready as fast as I could and looked up how to get there via Lothian Buses.  I was much more successful traveling via bus today - it's not so scary anymore.  I made it to Gilmerton Cove just in time for my tour, only to find out everyone else on the tour bailed and I was by myself.  No big deal though.  The lady in charge let me in for free and let me guide myself in the underground mystery that is Gilmerton Cove.  I had to wear a hard hat, but I totally pull it off.











Archaelogists and historians cannot figure out what Gilmerton Cove was made for - all they can do is take guesses.  This room may have been used as a baptismal font?  Anyway, it was interesting and the price is great, so make a reservation to see it if you come to Edinburgh.

While I was there I found out that I was very close to Craigmillar Castle, so of course I had to go!  So I hopped back on a Lothian bus for the short journey.  Craigmillar Castle was only 5 pounds for an adult and it was a hell of a deal!  It was my favorite castle I have been in thus far (including Edinburgh, Stirling, Dunlace, and Alnwick).  It was well kept but not commercialized.  I enjoyed how the rooms were all connected by different staircases and how the top was easy to get to.  I did not get too scared walking up any staircases either - they were much wider with rails or ropes to hold onto.  So if you are ever in the Edinburgh area, do yourself a favor and visit this castle.
When I left the castle I headed back to the city centre.  I decided while I was having a big day I might as well stop at the Scott Monument and cross that off my list.  It is my favorite building in Edinburgh.  Even though it's covered in soot, I still think the architecture of it is amazing - until I decided to climb up it - geesh! Can you tell how windy it was?  Probably not, but it was nearly 30mph so I thought I was going to blow right off and die.  Do this, but do it on a sunny wind-less day if possible.  It's only 3 pounds to go up and you get a "certificate" saying you climbed the 287 steps to the top.  The Wallace Monument needs something like that!  I had to climb up one of the "legs", then through the middle all the way to the top.  Scary.

Despite the crazy wind, I had a wonderful day exploring this glorious city and I managed to cross 3 more places off my list!  Living the life.  Back to school tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment