Thursday, May 31, 2012

Last College Assignment

Here's my last ever college assignment... a journal of my student teaching experiences here in Scotland.  This is something I have had to do every week since I've been here, but here's the last one.


Topic: CHALLENGES AND SUCCESSES!

1.     Describe how this experience has influenced your teaching or mindset as a teacher, or in general.

I have learned how to accept different ways of doing things.  It has opened my mind up to listen and accept others’ point of view.

2.     What unique teaching skills have you gained by choosing to student teach in an international setting? How are these skills unique to your experience overseas?

I have learned how to adapt my lessons to specific classes.  Since I was teaching the same thing to two classes, I learned how to plan what the characteristics of the students were and what I should teach them during class periods.  I am not sure if this experience is unique or not because at my US placement I would make sure both classes learned the same thing every day, but I also had to adapt lessons when things didn’t work.

3.     Describe any personal influences from this experience. How have you grown as an individual in your thinking and perceptions of the world? How have your perceptions of the United States changed? How will these personal influences impact your teaching, and ultimately the students in your classroom?

I have learned how to behave appropriately to match the country I’m in.  It has helped me to understand this part of the world and hold a true appreciation of it.  I was not very knowledgeable of the Scottish people before I came, but I feel I know a great deal now.  It’s been good to live outside of the US for awhile and see how people view the US.  I have seen that there’s not just one way of doing things and that although the educational system here seemed weird to me at first, now I can see its value.  This will allow me to be a more understanding and adaptable teacher.  I will be able to help my students better by teaching them in different ways and appreciating their diversity.

4.     Describe one professional and one personal success (or special moment) that you had while abroad. Tell how this will impact the way you will teach and interact with colleagues and students in the future.

A professional success happened during my first lesson to 1Y1.  I thought I was teaching the fourth lesson in the chapter, but I was supposed to teach the whole chapter starting with the first lesson.  I was able to plan my lesson quickly and teach the first two lessons in the chapter during that class period successfully.  Personally, I found myself successful getting around the UK independently.  Not having a phone or a friend with me, I was able to use maps and buses to get around to different parts of the country.  The first experience will teach me to plan better, but since I will have my own classroom in the future, that shouldn’t be a problem.  I will also be able to share my experience with my students to encourage them to go to college and study abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment