Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Masterchef Competition

School went just fine today.  I did get to eat lunch outside, which was awesome.  Today was the nicest weather in Scotland since I've been here!  It was in the 70s (Fahrenheit), which is about 30 degrees higher than it has been... awesome! 

The real fun, though, started after school.  I got to be a judge for the school's Masterchef competition.  There were 13 applicants (4 of my students).  The students could either choose a sweet or a savoury dish to make in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  What all did I eat?  Let's start with the sweets.  Chocolate brownies, Dorset chocolate mousse cake (finalist), chocolate caramel slice, chocolate tart (finalist), profiteroles (finalist - my student!), strawberry tart, fudgy banana muffin (finalist).  So 4 of the students who made sweets are moving on to the finals.  The savoury dishes:  cheese and bacon pasta, fish and chips (my student - almost made it), potato curry with rice (finalist), salmon and broccoli tarts (finalist - my student!), Indian chicken curry (finalist), veggie curry (finalist - my student!).  That means there are 8 people that made it to the finals.  Why 8?  Because the judges couldn't compromise on 6.  The finals were supposed to be next week but since lots of the students are in France, it's the following week.  Damn, that means I won't be here for it.  It was a fun experience, though.  Plus, I got a free dinner out of it!

When I got back "home" I checked my e-mail and I got some wonderful news.  I have been selected for the Southeast Student Spotlight!  I answered a bunch of questions about school and my life for them.  Not sure when that will be posted, but I will attach it when that happens.  Here's the link to the recent Student Spotlights so you can get a feel of what it is: http://www.semo.edu/spotlights/students.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment