Friday, April 20, 2012

One Week Down, Six to Go

Well, my first week student teaching (or shall I say observing) came to an end.  I really like the faculty, even the staff outside of the maths department have been nice to me.  And yes, I put an s on the end of math on purpose.  That's how we do it over here in Scotland. 

The department chair gave me six different classes with four different teachers.  Fourth year students go on exam leave starting next Wednesday, and since my fourth year class is WRF, I am already done with them.  Now I get to use that time as prep or I can go observe a different class.  I will teach my first lesson on Monday!  I can't really tell you what subject it is because their classes aren't set up like America's.  In America, classes are divided by subject in math (ie. Algebra, Geometry, Trig), but in Scotland, maths is divided by difficulty.  I will be teaching 2M3, which is second year of secondary mathematics (equivalent of eighth or ninth grade) and they are the third from the top of their class... out of 6? or 8?  I will be teaching linear equations on Monday and various things about circles on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I will also pick up 1X1 and 1Y1 this week, which is the equivalent of seventh or eighth graders.  I can't wait.  Weird thing... they don't have the technology available that I'm used to - it will be strictly white board unless I can find/think of a manipulative.

We had a half day today.  All Fridays will be like that unless there is Staff Development.  I spent the rest of my day relaxing and doing laundry.  Unfortunately there's no dryer, so I have to hang dry everything.  Bummer!  Saturday and Sunday I am going to go do something in Edinburgh!  Check back tomorrow to see what I picked.

No comments:

Post a Comment